Sunday, February 28, 2010

So here it is...

Plain and simple. I have been thinking thinking thinking non-stop day by day drastically altering my perspective of architecture. With constant change I am having hell laying out my thoughts.

To follow this blog I must route you to another blog that I have found called Experiencing Architecture. It basically sums up and breaks down the information necessary to understand where I am coming from.

Regardless of how fucked up some it sounds day by day I am gaining order to what began as a theory but now 'it just is what it is' more so than a theory. The hypothesis of the outcome has become less subjective than at first I perceived it to be.

Using mapping as a tool to justify moves within a design. Essentially the culmination of those separate techniques become a derivative of one thing, atmosphere. The outcome of my design will hopefully reveal a balance of all those aspects to produce a certain diversity of atmospheric conditions that become equally sensational.

Start here
http://experiencingarchitecture.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/how-to-design-atmospheres-attuned-to-the-concerns-of-the-user/

Then go here
http://experiencingarchitecture.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/how-do-emotions-work-basic-model-of-emotions/

The creator of this blog, Simon Droog, and I have been discussing some things and to a certain collaborating.

Here is where we have started make sure to follow the biomapping link.

Reply

Austin Homfeld

2.16.10 / 3pm
I study Architecture and I am fascinated by aspects of Architectural theory especially pertaining to sensation, emotion, and affect produced by architectural environments.
Depending on various contexts such as the natural environment or built environment in which the structure is located or the origin and background of the viewer this theory is obviuosly highly subjective.

Right now I am residing in Barcelona Spain taking on a studio course where we are exploring mapping. While continuing the design process I am deriving levels of intimacy through line of sight.

Due to my interest in affect produced by architectural environments I believe that certain aspects of mapping, such as intimacy, could be a derivative of sensation and emotion therefore making it possible to map despite its current level of subjectivity.

My plan essentially is to gather a consensus to an extent through a blog that is in the works. For it to be successful I would have to explain essentially what you are explaining (very well by the way) before beginning to test my theory.

I am hoping to direct my followers toward your forum here so that they may better understand what I am pursuing.

Fantastic job I cant wait to here more.
Reply

simondroog

2.17.10 / 10am
Thanks, Austin.
It seems that we have a similar fascination. I would be very interested in your theories and findings on this topic. Can you give me the address to your blog when it is up and running?

In the mean time you could have a look at an interesting approach to mapping emotion by researcher Christian Noldt: Biomapping. It could be useful for the development of your theories. Good luck! http://www.biomapping.net/
Reply

Austin Homfeld

2.18.10 / 8pm
Amazing. I have been unsuccessful at finding some concrete data such as that to back up the theory and push it along in the process. Essentially what he has created is a basis for the first step in my process.

Right now that first step is macro context being one city as a whole (just to start then hopefully if successful moving into a global context-i.e. the “new” macro context)

The second, with respect, would be what I am calling the “diamond in the rough.” So basically a certain structure as a whole and it’s level of sensation produced in the context of those in it’s vicinity.

At the micro levels obviously would be the building within it’s own context and in some instances the spike in sensation produced from lines of sight to the exterior but still in it’s own context as it would create the foreground for that sight.

Hopefully some collaboration can take place and we can begin to develope certain vocabularies making these theories less subjective than their current state. As our population begins to grow and further discussion continues this can be achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment